Established in 1991, PetSafe strives to be one of the most trusted brands out there for pet owners. Their parent company is Radio Systems Corporation who owns many other well-known pet brands such as Drinkwell pet water fountains and ScoopFree self-cleaning litter trays, those are just a couple of well-known cat related products but there are plenty more.
Among many great products produced by PetSafe, the PetSafe Petporte Smart Flap Microchip Cat Door is no different as this product is also highly ranked among other microchip cat flaps. Our full review of this product is provided below.
Average user rating (3.8 / 5)
- Boost your home security by only allowing microchipped cats you’ve registered to enter your home.
- Can be mounted to the door or wall.
- Can be installed to wooden, PVC, metal, glass and brick material.
- Extension lead can be purchased to allow installation in most locations.
- Compatible with UK and EU standard 15 digit microchips.
- Can register up to 25 cats at any one time.
- Runs from the mains but back up battery available in case of a power cut or mains failure.
- Optional night mode uses a built-in light sensor which allows in only access for authorised cats at night time and deactivates in only access at dawn.
- Vet mode changes the status to “in only” until the setting turned off.
- Child lock prevents children from changing the settings.
Night mode – Night mode can be turned on or off, when it is turned on, a built-in light sensor will detect when it is night time in which it’ll change the status to “in only” and when it’s dawn again the status will revert back to “open”.
This mode is designed to improve safety measures for your cat, keeping him indoors which reduces the chances of anything happening to him if he was out in the streets. This function works slightly different to the Cat Mate Elite which allows you to set the times for which you want the status to be “in only”, which gives you slightly more control as you’re setting the times.
Child lock – To prevent children from tampering or changing the settings turn the child lock function on. Also the buttons are located on the top of the cat flap which prevents cats from pressing them.
No I.D disc tag – Unlike the many other microchip cat flaps, the PetSafe Petporte doesn’t allow you to use an I.D disc tag, this is used if your cat is not microchipped, which can be very handy as a temporary measure.
Only compatible with 15 digit microchips – Although the 15 digit microchip is the most common type, this microchip cat flap will not be compatible with 9 or 10 digit microchips.
- Dimensions (cm): 23.5L x 24H x 15W
- Weight: 1.6kg
- 3 year warranty.
- PetSafe Petporte Smart Flap Microchip Cat Door.
- User manual.
The feature which makes the PetSafe Petporte slightly different from other microchip cat flaps is the night mode which uses a built-in light sensor to detect when it’s daytime or night time and the lock status will be changed accordingly to maximise security.
Entering microchip cat flaps using I.D disc tags can be useful if you already had a microchip cat flap installed and you bought a new cat who you’ve booked in to get a microchip fitted but you wanted to use an I.D disc tag as a temporary measure in the meantime. But unfortunately this microchip cat flap is not compatible with I.D disc tags so if you feel you’re likely to be in this situation then other microchip cat flaps such as the Cat Mate Elite or Sureflap plus many others allows you to use I.D tags.
Bearing in mind that this is only compatible with 15 digit microchips which slightly limits what cats will be eligible to use this cat flap, but if your cat is eligible to use this cat flap then it’s one worth considering.
Average user rating (3.8 / 5)