About the company
PetSafe® was founded in 1991 and has been gaining pet owners’ trust ever since. With products available on five continents, the company’s tremendous success lies in the values shared among employees to be genuine, dedicated, empathetic and trustworthy.
Thanks to the open culture and the feedback left by the customers, company management works closely with the R&D department on product improvements and new developments.
Average user rating (3.5 / 5)
About the product
PetSafe ScoopFree Ultra Self-Cleaning Litter Box is an innovative, effective and radical way to effortless maintenance of your four-legged friend. The device’s success lies in its self-cleaning litter box you can leave without supervision for weeks. The mechanism operates on the automatic rake system which shoves pet waste into a separate compartment shortly after your cat has left the litter box (timer can be set to 5, 10 or 20 minutes after your cat’s visit).
The ScoopFree Ultra Litter Box has additionally been equipped with Safety Sensors responsible for detecting whether your pet has made another entry to the loo and resets the settings of the timer. This revolutionary product combines safety and the well-being of your cat while freeing up your time spent on maintenance and cleaning basic litter trays.
Thanks to the Health Counter function, The ScoopFree Ultra Litter Box will provide you with stats on your kitty’s toilet visits. This function serves an indispensable source of information for early detection of symptoms for health changes and preventative measures of any developing bladder and kidney related problems that are often deferred and even dismissed by the cat owners.
As for the pet owners, the ingenious application of crystals in the litter box is certainly a feature that makes the PetSafe ScoopFree stand out in a simple cat litter box comparison. The superior quality blue crystals have been selected by the manufacturer to minimise the odour or cat urine which is raked away and retained in the privacy hood. In a nutshell, this allows your cat to enjoy the fresh and clean toilet floor.
Simply plug the cable to the mains socket and get the machine started. It is safe to leave the machine whilst you are out and you will not have to worry about your cat’s needs and feel the urge to come home to clean up his litter tray. Whilst using a basic litter tray, you are constantly conscious about some litter that escapes from the litter tray. This, however, will no longer be on your radar as the Privacy Hood will keep the litter residue in the box and your cat will stay perfectly clean.
If you are somewhat unsure about the residue and prefer to opt in for an increased safety, take a look at the PetMate Flex Pet Litter Mat. It has been designed with a thought for some of the most demanding pet owners. You can place a mat right outside the litter box which will collect any remaining litter. The pet litter mat is flexible, however, it benefits from great durability and will not bend under your cat’s influence.
Additionally, the litter tray has been equipped with leak-proof lining which makes it easy to remove and replace with the new tray available directly from the manufacturer and third party retailers. It is recommended that you change the litter tray every 2-4 weeks depending on the age and needs of your cat. This Self-Cleaning Litter Box can also be used by multiple cats with an increased frequency for tray replacement.
If you are looking to use ScoopFree litter tray on its own anywhere outside of the house, the PetSafe ScoopFree Replacement Crystal Litter Tray can serve as disposable litter box. When used in a more conventional way, it is advised that you can frequently tidy away your kitten’s waste in the separate and more discreet compartment. We recommend that your cleaning kit consists of a durable pet litter scoop, such as Pureness Regular Litter Scoop. Made from high impact plastic, it will endure cleaning of the dried out solidified faeces. The polished finish greatly reduces the cleaning time and makes the litter scoop odour and stain resistant.
- Timer and safety sensors for additional cleaning support and control.
- Self-cleaning automated rake cleans and sweeps your cat’s waste into a separate compartment 5,10 or 20 mins after cat has left The PetSafe ScoopFree Litter Box.
- Safety sensors automatically detect if your cat returns to the The PetSafe ScoopFree Litter Box and reset the rake timer.
- The lid is safely attached by the magnet to the litter tray waste compartment and keeps solid waste inside the compartment.
- The Health Counter keeps track of your cat’s visits your to the litter box which detects early symptoms of bladder-related health problems.
- Premium quality blue crystals used in the disposable litter tray feature 5 x better urine absorption and odour management in comparison to clay and other cat litter boxes.
- Disposable and easy to replace leak-proof efficient litter trays that reduce cleaning to every 3-4 weeks depending on your cat’s age and needs.
- Privacy Hood designed for additional secluded bathroom provides more privacy for your cat.
- Efficient structure and blue Fresh Step Crystal litter used in The PetSafe ScoopFree Litter Box maximise the litter use and results in 5-10 x less litter used as opposed to clay and other litter types.
Convenience & Efficiency:
- PetSafe Litter Box can be used by single or multiple cats of any size and age.
- The Litter Box can be left with no interference for weeks.
- High quality odour control management system and increased litter containment ensures odour-free litter box that stays fresh and clean for weeks without noticeable assistance.
- Rake Delay can be conveniently programmed to 5, 10 or 20 min intervals after your cat’s toilet visit which allows a quick solid waste offload.
- Health Counter, Adjustable Rake Delay and Privacy Area features added to the Ultra model for increased safety.
- Health Counter tracks your cat’s health condition and effectively identifies alarming symptoms of any changes.
- Rated very reliable and hygienic amongst customers who have purchased the product.
Peace of mind:
- Cleaning cycle begins automatically shortly after cat leaves the box.
- 99% dust-free litter and leak-proof efficient disposable litter trays are far more efficient and maintains surrounding area tidy.
- Quiet but powerful motor – the noise generated by the Litter Box is barely noticeable and tolerable by you and your cat.
- Device can be left on when you are not present (as long as young children are not around).
- 2 year warranty.
- Product dimensions are larger than the conventional litter trays.
- Limited to indoor use only due to the mains supply unless you use a disposable PetSafe ScoopFree Replacement Crystal Litter Tray on its own outside.
- Device should be left unplugged if kittens are under 6 months old.
- Considerably costly initial investment.
- Monthly replacement of the disposable tray.
- Disposable Litter Tray will get noticeably heavier especially after a few weeks of your cat’s use due to feces and urine pushed back the separate compartment.
- Despite advertised minimal maintenance, there is some cleaning involved (occasional mixing of the crystals so the solidified waste and urine does not create a hotspot for your pet).
- Dimensions: 28.2 x 74 x 51.8 cm
- Weight: 6.7 Kg
- Model type: PAL19-14656
- Warranty: 2 years
- PetSafe ScoopFree Ultra Self-Cleaning Litter Box
- Privacy Hood
- Disposable Litter Tray with high quality blue crystals
- UL-approved supplied Adaptor (3 m cord length)
The ScoopFree Ultra Self-Cleaning Litter Box by PetSafe has certainly taken cat lovers by storm. There are several reasons why this model has been receiving positive feedback and gaining popularity among automatic litter boxes. Despite the considerably high initial cost, ScoopFree brings a wide range of options that will satisfy you and your cat.
Easy to setup litter box, unique design and very basic maintenance are the key benefits. Technological advancements in animal ergonomics will allow your furry family member to adjust quickly to the new environment. The Ultra model has been fortified with Privacy Hood and Health Counter which bring additional health benefits.
Despite ScoopFree Litter Box advertised as arguably maintenance-free, we suggest that you check the box every other day and mix the crystals. Dispose of larger solid clumps in the waste compartment to prevent them from accumulating in one area and ensure the machine stays reliable.
- You own one or two cats that are any age between 6 months and senior and are in generally healthy condition as younger cats tend to adjust to the new litter a lot quicker.
- You are looking for a reliable product and want to save a significant amount of time of its maintenance. Or are simply demanding in terms of cleanliness standard and do not want litter scattered around the tray.
- You do not like the smell of cat’s urine
- You do not have very young children that could play around the device’s cable.
- Can allocate some about £20 budget for tray replacement (you can also find cheaper alternatives).
Not Recommended if:
- You have several cats, in particular senior cats with kidney problems or kittens under 6 months old.
- Your cat’s diet is high in crude fiber, by-products and ash. You may need to replace the tray more frequently.
- You plan to use the Litter Box outside. The model is for inside use only. However, it is safe to use the Disposable Litter Tray with high quality blue crystals on its own outside.
- Your place is rather small and does not provide good air circulation.
Average user rating (3.5 / 5)
Tips On Adapting Your Cat Effectively To The PetSafe ScoopFree Ultra Self-Cleaning Litter Box:
If you are considering a change from the conventional litter tray to this modern and sophisticated litter box but are concerned about how your furry friend will react to the new device, you may find this easy to follow step-by-step guide very practical:
- Let your kitten familiarise himself with the new purchase by placing new litter box beside the old litter tray. Allow between 7-14 days for acclimatising as each cat has different character and approach to changes.
- We suggest that during the very first few days contact with the new device should be stress-free. Leaving the PetSafe ScoopFree Litter Box unplugged will put your kitty at ease and will not get distracted or irritated. Remember to use the scoop and clean the solid waste manually during this period.
- Within the initial transition period your cat should be given access to both litter boxes.
The freedom of choice will make him more curious and daring, ultimately making him attracted to this new discovery.
- Start implementing the active gradual transition. Reduce cleaning and disposal of waste in your pet’s old tray. Eventually you should leave it messy. Cats prefer clean places so the new Litter Box will look far more appealing.
- During transition we recommend to sprinkle some Blue Crystal litter over the old litter tray and apply a few small handfuls of your cat’s old litter onto the new PetSafe Litter Box to ensure smoother transition and faster completion.
- Once your cat feels comfortable using the new Litter Box, dispose of the old litter tray and plug the device into the socket the PetSafe ScoopFree Ultra Self-Cleaning Litter Box and enjoy being freed from cleaning!